Auto insurance claim with minor injury?

by admin on June 4, 2010

My son was in a minor fender bender & the nationally known insurance company is blowing up my phone. I told them he is feeling some neck & back pain. No Dr. has seen him.

They want to know what Dr. he saw & where? They also asked if I was going to make a claim. I told them I was unsure & wouldn’t release any further info to them.

My son is not injured other than some soreness, but I don’t want to release anything to them until I’m sure he will not have any further complications.

What kind of letter should I send them? What about any compensation form this? I’m very confused & really just want him to be OK without any future issues.


Norma Jones

Related Blogs

{ 1 comment }

Jifr June 4, 2010 at 5:17 am


You don’t have to make a claim or answer any questions if you don’t want to. If you/your son are ok with just taking some pain reliever and getting over it – that’s ok. Most people try to cash in like they’ve won the lottery.

However, just some info for you:

It sounds like the other driver has insurance and the other driver was at fault. That carrier is obligated to make sure their driver is released from any outstanding liability. If you/your son is going to make a claim – they want to get it resolved.

In order to get it resolved – they need you/him to sign a release. The release will say that you have been compensated and that you agree not to purse anything additional against the other driver.

If you do decide to make a claim – and your son treats with a doctor – you will need to sign a medical authorization. That just allows the adjuster to get the related medical bills. That’s really no biggie.

The release is really not a biggie either – but you guys should feel comfortable that all of your concerns have been addressed.

Sometimes – an insurance company will offer you money just to get a release on behalf of their insured. If you are comfortable with that – that’s fine.

Usually – I would recommend waiting to sign until you know there are no complications OR sign an open medical release. This allows you to settle the claim for some money and leaves money available for medical treatment. (Usually up to a specified dollar amount and set amount of time. Up to $1000 for 3 months for example)

Anyway – it sounds like things are going to be ok with your son. Let’s hope it stays that way.


Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: