Can I file a worker’s compensation claim if I no longer work at the place where I was injured?

by admin on June 19, 2010

I was diagnosed yesterday with patellofemoral pain syndrome which is a knee injury caused from overuse of the knee. I was working room service in a hotel for about 2 years and then I injured myself about 6 months ago. I couldn’t walk for about a week and was having major pain, so I just rested. I could walk after a week so I did go back to work but was still in pain so I was just answering the phone.

The reason I left my job was because I lost my license for 2 months and could not get a ride to work, so I had to leave for a while and I just never went back. I rested for a few months but still felt pain every day so I finally went to a doctor when I got health insurance, but this wasn’t until about 6 months later. I was told I had PFPS and that I now have to go to physical therapy.

So, what I’m asking is if I’m going to be able to process a claim for workers compensation even though I’m no longer working for the hotel. If so, would I be entitled to retroactive payment for the past 6 months? I’ve been in pain all summer long and have been unable to get a job because of my injury.

Please help!

Related Blogs

{ 2 comments } June 19, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Yes. You might have waited too long after the injury, but that was not your question. The mere fact that you no longer work there will not prevent the claim.

justme June 19, 2010 at 2:44 pm

You will have to prove that the injury is work related after this time delay. It may end up in a protracted legal battle that could cost you a lot of money in legal fees.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: