Can you claim compensation after being attacked?

by allan46 on September 28, 2011

If you’ve been the victim of an attack, whether out on the streets, at work or in your private residence, you may be entitled to claim for compensation. While it will not always be possible to make a claim against the actual person responsible for the attack, especially if you don’t know their identity, you can rest assured that there are authorities in place to ensure you receive money to which you’re entitled – which could help greatly if you’ve suffered physical or psychological damage as a result of the incident.

The UK’s Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) is one such example, funded by the government to provide compensation to victims of attacks. If you sustained injuries during the incident, personal injury lawyers could be the most effective way of obtaining the compensation you’re due.

As long as the incident happened within the past two years, and occurred in England, Wales or Scotland, you may be entitled to make a claim. The first step to take is to contact the police or other authorities as soon as possible after the incident takes place – not only so you can receive expert help and advice, but also so there is a record of your call that could help with your claim. Even if the attack happened more than two years ago, you may still be entitled to make a claim if it can be demonstrated that there were special circumstances preventing you from doing so until now.


Many types of attacks are covered by criminal injuries compensation, from assaults in the workplace to rape, however the injuries and other damage sustained will be a determining factor in the amount you can claim. Because the CICA can award anything between £1000 and £500,000 in compensation, injuries valued at lower amounts may not be eligible for claims.

There may also be other circumstances that make claims more difficult, such as if the person who attacked you was a family member or a person invited into your property. Your behaviour during the incident and your co-operation with authorities during the subsequent investigation could also contribute towards determining your claim amount.

If you feel you are entitled to criminal injuries compensation, you don’t have to use a personal injury lawyer – however, you could find their expert legal assistance invaluable. If you have sustained injuries, your solicitor could also help you claim for higher amounts, so you won’t feel undercompensated.

The author of this article is a part of a digital blogging team who work with brands like Shoosmiths. The content contained in this article is for information purposes only and should not be used to make any financial decisions.
Paul is a part of the digital blogging team at who work with brands like Shoosmiths. For more information about me, or to keep up to date with the latest in lifestyle news, check out my posts at or visit my Twitter account, @awnow
Article Source

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: