I really need legal advice for my sister and family… PLEASE HELP!?

by admin on September 30, 2010

Hello all,

My sister was driving home on a interstate a few months back and we think she fainted or lost control while driving and she hit another car head on. The other family suffered minor injuries and they have sued our car insurance and taken a claim on our medical insurance. Just the other day, they sent my sister a court summons in the mail to pay for their "pain and emotional suffering".

My sister has been in a coma for the last 4 months because she sustained major brain damage. Obviously, she is in so shape to go to court. She is a 21 year old college student and the family is seeking compensation from her… and she has no money. Does anyone know what will happen… Will my parents be financially responsible for her because she is unable to pay/ attend court? What can we do!?! My family does not have much money and we are already overwhelmed with her hospital/rehab bills. We really need legal advice!! Im guessing the other family hired a personal injury lawyer.

Related Blogs


Mike September 30, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Her car insurance will cover the majority of the settlement. You should check with her insurance company and find out what the maximums are that they are going to pay. If the settlement goes beyond the maximum amount allowed by her insurance policy, then they may come after your sister directly. The key is to find out what her policy will allow to be paid out. I am so sorry to hear about the accident and pray for a speedy recovery for your sister and everyone involved.

∞infiniti∞ September 30, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Your sister is an adult. Your parents are not financially responsible for her accident. A personal injury lawyer will try to go after the deepest pockets. He needs to be suing your sister and her insurance company.

tivodan1116 September 30, 2010 at 11:47 pm





danny14551 September 30, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Your family will not be responsible but if she has any money in the bank, bonds, accounts, etc they can go after it (if anyone with draws any money to try and hid it they could be jailed). Your insurance company will settle the medical and car bills, but they could sue her for the pain and suffering. If she ever, hopefully, comes out of the coma she will own it.

kun j September 30, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Hiring a lawyer for minor legal problems can be expensive, but there are websites like LawGuru, FindLaw and other places where you can get free legal advice. I found this website useful – http://www.uelp.org/freelegal.html

numericalexample.com September 30, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Get a lawyer, absolutely. Do not sign anything in the mean time. You might want to estimate the damage yourself first, use this online calculator:

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: